Best Drum Shield for Top-Level Sound Control
I am Chad, a professional drummer who has been performing for over twenty years. Throughout my career, I have gained immense knowledge and experience working with drum sets. I have been blessed to work with the top drum sets, and I have utilized different drum shields with them.
A drum shield is a transparent physical barrier that exists between the drummer and the rest of the audience. It reflects the sound to you as the drummer and the back of the stage. It hence reflects and reduces the music that goes towards the rest of the audience. The primary purpose of the drum shield is to decrease the sound level of the drum set.
|1||Drum Shield DS4 5 Panels 2 Feet x 5 Feet Chrome Hinges||194 Reviews||$284.95||Buy on Amazon|
|2||Drum Shield 10 Ft X 5 Ft Tall DS4 Living Acrylic Drum Shield with Full Length Living Flexible...||14 Reviews||$284.95||Buy on Amazon|
|3||Drum Shield 6 Panel Drum Shield with Deflectors 5foot Tall DS5D L||$317.21||Buy on Amazon|
|4||Drum Shield DS4 L 5 Section Flexible Hinges||114 Reviews||$284.95||Buy on Amazon|
|5||Drum Shield DS1 4 2foot X 4foot Panels no Deflectors with Chrome Hinges||$193.71||Buy on Amazon|
Additionally, it has another benefit associated. With years of experience being a drummer, I can say that with a proper drum shield, your band members will be saved from flying drum sticks during performances. The shield acts as a protector for the audience and your band members. You are saved from flying objects as well in case there is unrest in the audience. It is a double win, as to say.
Drum shields come in various designs. Therefore, it is essential to make research on the materials used in manufacturing drum shields and their specifications before purchasing the right one. The drum shields play a crucial part in the improvement of your sound production.
As a veteran in this sector, I have highlighted my top picks of best drum shield options in the industry. Fortunately, I have worked with these drum shields, and I have experienced their work. I have analyzed the shields based on their durability, effectiveness, longevity, and affordability.
Drum Cage Ideas When Selecting One
- Drum Cage Ideas When Selecting One
- My Top 8 Picks of Best Drum Shields
- 1. Drum Shield DS4 5 Panels – An Ideal Drum Booths for Churches and Any Other Location
- 2. DS4 L 5 by Pennzoni Display – Crystal Clear Acrylic Drum Sound Shield
- 3. Shield DS1 by Pennzoni Display – Drum Enclosures with 2 ft x 4 ft Panels
- 4. DS6L Living by Pennzoni Display – 6-ft Drum and Cymbal Shield
- 5. DS7DL 7 Foot X 12 Foot Drum Shield – A Great Option to Purchase
- 6. Drum Shield 6 Panel Drum Shield with Deflectors 5 Feet Tall DS5DL – Go for It if You Need a Powerful Shield
- 7. Drum Shield DS5D Chrome Hinges – A Model That Is Worth the Cost
- 8. Drum Booth Sound Room Drum Shields – Among the Best Options in the Market
- Buyer’s Guide on the Best Drum Shields
- Best Drum Shields FAQ
- What is the Best Drum Shield for Your Needs?
After considering these factors, you can rest assured that you will select the right drum shield, which will fit your preferences. Below are some features, which you should look out for when choosing your preferred drum shield:
- Durability. The durability is undoubtedly a critical component that should be considered when investing in a drum shield. You should select an item, which displays high durability and manufactured from high-quality material for long time service. For example, drum shields made of high-quality acrylic material can work for many years.
- Acoustic absorption. The acoustic ability of the drum shield is an essential feature to consider when selecting a model for yourself. The shield should come with an added feature to help in absorbing sound while reducing the bouncing effect of sound on the shield. This is because the drum shields are also reflective, hence should be paired off with sound-absorbent material.
These two features should be highly considered when shopping for a drum shield. However, you should also account for other preferences such as affordability and compatibility with your drum sets and drum kits.
My Top 8 Picks of Best Drum Shields
Here are my top picks of the best drum shields in the market today. I based my choices on usability and ease with the use of these time-proven drum shields during live performances.
1. Drum Shield DS4 5 Panels – An Ideal Drum Booths for Churches and Any Other Location
The DS4 is fitted with five different sections manufactured from acrylic panels. This drum shield is also very portable and can be folded into small packs due to the adjustable hinges. DS4 can absorb sound, thus, being a highly effective tool that controls sound when performing on stage.
The primary material that makes up the DS4 is acrylic. With a total height dimension of 5 feet, you are guaranteed the required reach for your drum sets with brilliant studio sessions.
This is a preferred alternative if you are in love with live drum performances. I like the equipment since I can engage my audience while still controlling the. I highly recommend the clear acrylic material for better sound production and playing transparency for both professional drummers and beginners.
Additionally, this drum shield features four extended hinges for easy movements and storage. When performing on stage, you need a portable unit. It is highly recommended since it can be moved from different sets on stage between the performance acts. The hinges can also be attached for holding the panels quickly even when folding.
The installation process of the DS4 can be very quick with the accompanying instructions. It took me a couple of minutes in building the entire setup without any outside help. Although, it takes practice to master the art of assembly of drum shields. This assures that you are set for sessions on time. The unit can also be combined with other drum and bass sets, with different drum kits, and other equipment.
The plastic details of the DS4 model make it highly durable. The plastic ensures the advanced technology to make your drum shield serve a lifetime. You are guaranteed the definite value of your money with this drum shield. The easily foldable hinges also reduce friction existing between the panels, thus, increasing its lifespan.
I highly recommend this drum shield for owners of small kits. It has an affordable price tag that is encouraging to beginners.
- DS4 5 panels Full 1/4" x 24 x 60 Crystal clear acrylic
- Total Height;5 ft.
- High-quality material
- Highly durable
- Quick installation process
- Not suitable for large kits
2. DS4 L 5 by Pennzoni Display – Crystal Clear Acrylic Drum Sound Shield
This drum shield is great for any piece’s drum set. It contains five panels. Each of them has equal dimensions of ¼ inches x 24 inches x 60 inches. The total height of the shield is 5 ft. The product has flexible hinges, and you can place the border between yourself and the rest of the band in several seconds. This shield is made of high-class acrylic material.
There are 4 living hinges made of plastic. They are pretty reliable, and I have never experienced any problems with them. They are foldable in case you want to transport the shield anywhere. I use this shield whenever my band goes to the concert, since it is lightweight, and I can fold it with ease. It also does not take much place in the car. The shield is made in the USA. Before you order it, make sure that you measure the drum set correctly since this shield is slightly oversized, which I personally consider as a benefit.
- DS4 5 panels Full 1/4" x 24 x 60 Crystal clear acrylic
- drum shield Total Height 5 ft. ( Drum set not included )
- High-quality material
- Foldable 4 living hinges
- Easy to set up
- Acrylic shield absorbs noise
- Made in the USA
- Slightly more expensive than similar products
3. Shield DS1 by Pennzoni Display – Drum Enclosures with 2 ft x 4 ft Panels
This 4-section shield is completely transparent and almost unnoticeable on stage. I recommend it for bands that perform a lot. It is simple to set up and easy to transport. Besides, you don’t see it thanks to crystal clear acrylic material and 6 tiny bright chrome hinges which hold these panels intact. These panels are 2 ft x 4 ft each.
I believe the acrylic shield is pretty reliable, but I don’t recommend throwing things randomly at it just to check. Yet, I must confess that several times I have done it with my sticks and haven’t noticed any scratches there. If you worry about small chrome hinges, I can assure you that they hold the whole construction reliably. This product is made in the USA, which is great news for those who love to talk to support about every concern they have. Still, I have never addressed them in several years. The whole package weighs 220 pounds. Another thing I have to warn you about is that you may find this shield a little bit tight for you if you have a 7-piece drum kit.
- Drum Shield- DS1 4 - 2ft. x 4 ft. Panels no Deflectors
- 4 section drum shield
- Reliable acrylic panels
- Transparent glass is suitable for concerts
- Chrome hinges are easy to adjust
- Trustable developers
- Not big enough for a 7-piece drum kit with cymbals
4. DS6L Living by Pennzoni Display – 6-ft Drum and Cymbal Shield
This shield is a perfect choice for drummers with 5 or 7-piece drum kits. It is wide and tall enough so that you can place all the instruments at the required distance. Six sections are all 6 ft high and made of crystal clear acrylic. Each of them is ¼ inches x 24 inches x 72 inches. They are reliably attached to each other by 5 full-length living hinges, which you can’t see from the distance. If you come closer, you can notice them, but they still do not distract your attention from drums and the drummer.
You can fold up the panels in several minutes. The shield is easy to transport in your car. Each panel weighs 17 lbs, and it is 120 lbs in total. I like how it looks in the room. It is incredibly stylish and makes the total view of the drums even more professional. Yet, I have to warn you about the cost. Probably this shield is one of the most expensive among other models Pennzoni Display offers. Still, I believe the high quality of the product makes the price fair.
- DS6L Drum shield Six section 6 panels Full 1/4" x 24 x 72 Crystal clear acrylic
- Total Height 6 ft.
- Six high panels
- Transparent acrylic material
- Simple to set up
- Wide enough for a 7-piece drum kit
- High quality
- More expensive than similar products of the developer
5. DS7DL 7 Foot X 12 Foot Drum Shield – A Great Option to Purchase
The drum shield dimension of total heights is 7 to 12 feet together with flexible hinges. The advantage of the adjustable hinges allows for smooth movement of the shield to various locations when performing with the drum sets on stage.
It features durable deflectors that I find useful, especially when performing on stage with a large crowd. As a performer, I always enjoy it when I can engage the audience with my performance. The drum shield fulfills this need with crystal clear acrylic walls for interacting with your audience when playing drum sets.
The hinges are plastic. Hence, they allow for easy adjustments of the panels for them to fit into the various spaces. You can make use of the height extenders at any time of the performance.
Sometimes I perform in front of small weddings or parties. With the DS7DL, I can always adjust the panels to accommodate the small crowd before beginning the performance. The last time I performed at a wedding party, I had an easy time assembling the whole setup. The setup procedure is simple as it requires a few steps only.
The assembly of the setup is simplified thanks to the hinges, which are very flexible. The hinges will give you an easy time erecting the shield in a small area because of the adjustable panels. The high flexibility increases the durability of the drum shields.
The cases are also protected from wear and tear due to friction. This is because the cases are parallel to each other, thus, boosting your convenience during the setup procedure.
The deflectors of the drum shields make it easier for drummers to get rid of distortions when performing on stage. The reflectors help in reducing the sound emitted from the different drums. Thus, it allows for boosting clarity during production. The DS7L is fitted with six deflectors for better sound production.
The DS7L model is very portable with the added plastic living hinges, which allow straightforward attachment and panel folding. The panels can be folded tightly and stored in a small place. The attached hinges make it possible for proper folding of the panels to small sizes for secure handling when transporting.
Apart from being portable, this model is winning because you can comfortably put together the different parts with the guiding instructions manual and start your performance. The included enclosures are applied in various drum-playing setups. The high versatility ensures that you earn value for your investment. I highly recommend this drum shield for performers even with large kits as the product is worth the investment.
- DS7D Six - 2ft. x 6 ft. Panels w/ Deflectors Drum shields, Total Height 7 ft.
- 6 panels Full 1/4" x 24 x 72 Crystal clear acrylic
- Attached hinges
- Fitted with deflectors
- A bit expensive
6. Drum Shield 6 Panel Drum Shield with Deflectors 5 Feet Tall DS5DL – Go for It if You Need a Powerful Shield
The six-panel drum shield has lasting patterns across the six boards. The crystal clear look also guarantees that when performing with different drum sets, your crowd can view your motions. Furthermore, the DS5DL’s durability makes it a perfect fit for drum performances.
In case you are a beginner, and you are selecting your first drum shield, this one can be easily set up in a few minutes. It is thanks to the provided manual guide and easy-to-use design of the drum shield.
The durability of the drum shield is assured through the top selection of materials and the latest technologies used. The hinges create space for the panels to be folded into a flat position for easy transportation. In terms of mobility, it is easy to move around due to the design of the foldable hinge. The panels’ heights are also set to cover the most massive drum kits.
The compact design of the DS5DL removes the worries associated with the consideration of space for storage of the item. The drum shield size can fit perfectly, even in a small studio. The hinges, together with the drum shield, allow for easier folding it into a flat position for more accessible storage.
The shield can also be folded into a small pack that can perfectly be accommodated into your transport when you are touring and performing in different stages. The sound quality produced from the drum sets will definitely improve with the installation of this drum shield.
The last time I used the DS5DL, I had an easy time installing the item without any prior knowledge or expertise in setting up this shield. Guided assistance is not needed when putting parts of this drum set together. However, you are handed detailed instructions of the installation process.
This drum shield is also fitted with a plastic casing for preserving the damage.
The unit can be used to add protection to your drum set from potential harm, especially when performing in front of a live audience. It can also control unnecessary noises when placed around your musical instruments.
- DS5D L 6 panels Full 1/4" x 24 x 48 Crystal clear acrylic DS5D
- Total Height 5 ft. Six - 2 ft. x 4ft. Panels w/ Deflectors
- High-quality material
- Easy setup
- Compact design for easy storage
- Costly compared to other versions
7. Drum Shield DS5D Chrome Hinges – A Model That Is Worth the Cost
The drum shield is manufactured of high-grade acrylic material. It is a preferred choice for drum lovers, especially for live performances. You can actively engage with your audience since the crowd can view you as you perform. You can also gain control of the sound when playing to avoid any sound distortions that might taint your performance. This drum shield is also fitted with bright chrome hinges that add style to the entire setup of the drum shield. The chrome hinges can be attached easily while holding the panels in place to provide you with an excellent experience during your music performance.
I want to mention that these high-quality hinges come at no extra cost. The shield is constructed explicitly for a better music experience while on stage. This additionally improves the sound quality for the best live performances.
It also has deflectors that help in preventing distortions when performing on stage. The deflectors reduce sound to ensure that the various musical instruments can be heard, making a fantastic sound together.
- DS5D 6 panels Full 1/4" x 24 x 48 Crystal clear acrylic
- Total Height 5 ft. 12 Bright Chrome Hinges or Living Hinge which easily attach and hold panels tightly
- Additional chrome hinges
- High-grade acrylic material
- Fitted with deflectors for preventing distortions
- Possible for the audience to view you
- Longer setup
8. Drum Booth Sound Room Drum Shields – Among the Best Options in the Market
With this drum booth sound room, you are protected from all room echo, and it reduces volume by removing the need for costly acoustic room treatments. The drum booth room is made of high-quality materials doubled with a unique design.
It is manufactured from thick absorbing material for sound blocking and high durability. The booth is designed to be highly portable and requires no tools for setup. Among the additional features that make the sound room exceptional, there is a full-length acrylic drum shield for high visibility to your audience.
It also has panels that cover the whole drum booth while reducing any room echo. The door panel also hands easy access. There are many custom configurations that you can take up. This makes the equipment a perfect fit for homes, studios, churches, and other venues.
The sound enclosures shields are close to six feet square room. It fits acrylic panels together with full no-gap plastic hinges. The plastic hinges increase the durability of the booth, and they can be easily attached to the hold panels tightly. The booth sound room comes with easy assembly instructions that can shorten your preparation time.
- Drum Booth Sound Room , Drum Shields or Drum Shield
- Close to 6ft x 6ft square room to play in also 6ft Tall
- Thick-absorbing material
- Custom configurations
- Sound blocking properties
- Easy access to handle door
- Hard installation
Buyer’s Guide on the Best Drum Shields
Drummers always opt for high-quality drum shields for their performance, and my top list is aimed to help with this task. Yet, what if you can’t choose one of the shields among them? This is why you have to know what to look for in the shield for your drum set.
Pros and Cons of Drum Shields
Drummers who prefer to use shields can name you numerous advantages, including noise absorption, isolation, and even safety of the drummer and the equipment. Without a doubt, a drum shield is helpful when you know how to use it. Those drummers who prefer to play without any obstacle between them and the audience usually name only one disadvantage, which is visual performance. Let’s check them all:
- Lower volume. Drummers tend to be the loudest in the band. They can drown out other musicians with ease. Shield helps you to lower the total sound from the stage;
- Clean sound. A drum overwhelming the vocal microphones may ruin any mix. If you want to tame the live mix, you need to make sure that a drummer uses such a shield. It provides a cleaner sounder and helps other instruments become audible;
- Singers with in-ear microphones do not hear only drums in their ears. If you play in the band, you may not only silence musical instruments but ruin the whole performance for singers without the shield. This product helps to lower down the sound of the drum set in the in-ear monitor of the singer.
- The high volume inside the shield. You will hear the sounds your drum kit reveals with a double power inside the shield. This is why it is important to wear ear protection;
- The lighting is problematic. Yet, it can be removed with crystal clear high-quality plexiglass for drums;
- Time-consuming setup. You have to practice to be able to set up the shield quickly. I have recommended only the best foldable products on the list.
Types of Drum Shields
There are three main types of shields distinguished by musicians. They are:
- Full-coverage type. Full coverage prevents the drum noise from any angle or corner. The panels must surround the drum kit. They are also higher than a drummer, so the noise doesn’t come out from above. The developers of such shields usually offer up to 70 percent of noise reduction. This type is usually the most expensive option;
- The full-front type is the most common among the shields. It is pretty affordable and quick to set up. The panels are placed in front of the drums, which provides you with a lower volume from the drums. Yet, it does not offer as much noise reduction as full coverage;
- The partial-front usually has front panels similar to the full type. Yet, the partial-front models are usually lower. They are capable of reducing the noise from the drum part in general. The drummer can see perfectly above them. This way, the noise is partly removed, and the drummer can still feel the connection with the audience and other members of the band. There is no feeling that you are sitting in a glass cage. Still, you receive the lowest possible reduction of noise.
When to Use a Drum Shield?
A drum shield is widely used among drummers around the world. Originally, it was created to clear the sound and remove the loudness of drums that silence other musical instruments. It equals the band, making the instruments and vocals sound as a whole. Such shields are most frequently used:
- While recording by audio engineers who want to receive a clear mix. They prefer to use such shields to ease their work;
- During the band performing on stage. Such shields allow a singer with the in-ear monitor to listen to the song and all the instruments, instead of drums only. It also may save the drummer from throwing drumsticks into the audience by accident or receiving something back from this audience. However, you have to come in advance and fold out the shield;
- During the rehearsals. Your drums will sound lower, which is great news for those who don’t practice in a prepaid studio and should specifically arrange a place for their performances. To prevent the house drama and protect your nerves from quarrels with other house dwellers, you may try to silence the sound of your drums. It grants you more time to play the music you love, while your neighbors will not tear you apart.
Best Drum Shields FAQ
Here you will find the most popular questions about drum shields I have encountered on the Internet. Read my answers since they may help you decide which shield you need the most. If you have something to add to my expert opinion, please do it in the comments below.
Which size of a drum shield to choose?
The size of the shield is one of the most important features to consider when you decide on the preferable model. Before you do it, think about the type of shield you need. I have described three main types in the guide above. If you want to get the most out of sound clearance, go for the highest panels that will surround your drum set.
The 4-6 ft range is considered to be short for the full coverage drum shield and perfect for the partial-front shield type. The full coverage type must be high enough to cover both the drums and a drummer and exceed the drummer’s height. You have to make sure that the panels surround all the equipment.
I have gathered here all three types of shields. You will find the panels from 2 ft x 6 ft to 6 ft x 12 ft. The drum shield with deflectors may cover the drums and the drummer as the roof. If you want to get access to the audience or feel too distant from the band, you can always remove extra shields. The hinges can be removed in a few moves.
Has your drummer used hot rod sticks?
If you don’t know what hot rod drumsticks are, you may want to search for them on the market. They have numerous advantages, especially for amateurs who want to improve their techniques. Hot rod sticks are a type of drum beater, a pack of thin sticks made of wood. They are all wrapped together by some foil or rubber. They provide a sound that is very close to the classic drumsticks and a mix of the brush.
Many drummers ignore these sticks, considering them as hard to use. However, they reduce the sound of the drum set, and you don’t have to decrease your velocity while playing. The effect is not equal to the shield, but it may be helpful during the rehearsals. Still, if you want to find reliable drumsticks and play too hard, you will break hot rod sticks in no time. You can either play with less power or go for the classic drumsticks if you are an aggressive drummer. I still advise you to have both options; you can practice with both of them. Hot rod sticks don’t cost much, and you can order them at any music store.
How to make a drum shield?
You might have already noticed several models by the same developer on the list. I have picked the American-based company which I trust the most. Yet, another reason is that not a lot of companies produce and sell drum shields. The reason is many drummers prefer to make their own shields that match the size of their drums and consume the noise. Although I still believe that there is no better shield than the one made by professional manufacturers, nobody stops you from making it DIY.
You will need the skill of a craftsman and a lot of patience. You will also require the materials, which may cost equally as an already-made shield from manufacturers. Acrylic panels usually are quite expensive on their own. If you want to save money, you aren’t likely to do it by making the shield on your own. Don’t forget that these panels must fit each other perfectly and be fastened with the hinges either of the full-size or small ones made of chrome. You have to take measurements at first and order the panels and hinges. Afterward, you need to gather all the details and make sure they match each other.
What is the Best Drum Shield for Your Needs?
With on-stage performances, it is common for drum sets to produce loud and unnecessary sounds, while the drum screens give you control over the sound output. Therefore, a drum shield is essential in avoiding unnecessary loud sounds. A perfect drum shield is essential in having an epic stage performance without any sound disturbances or distortions.
You need in-depth scrutiny of each of the products before selecting your preferred drum shield. It is essential to be aware of the differences and the other distinct features of the drum shields I have selected above. However, all the eight models that I have reviewed here can work for you for a long time, and each one is worth going for.
Remember that the best drum shield is the one that fits your needs. Therefore, you need to take a look at a few time-proven options and compare their features. Thus, you will know what item offers the best protection and sound control you need.
Have you used a drum shield before? Have you utilized one of the models reviewed above? Let me know how you feel about these. Drop your comments in the section below!